“On Killing a Tree” by Gieve Patel (S.A.Q) Short Answer Type Questions, Class XII, WBCHSE
On Killing a Tree Short Questions and answers discussion
On Killing a Tree by Gieve Patel SAQ
(1) Who composed the poem ‘On Killing a Tree’?
Ans. Gieve Patel composed the poem ‘On Killing a Tree’.
(2) How much time does it take to kill a tree?
Ans. It take much time to kill a tree.
(3) ‘It takes much time to kill a tree.’ – What does the poet Gieve Patel mean by the statement?
Ans. By the quoted statement, the poet Gieve Patel means that it is not easy to kill a tree.
(4) What do you mean by “a simple jab of knife”?
Ans. It means only a quick stab with a knife.
(5) ‘Slowly consuming the earth’ – What does the expression ‘consuming the earth’ mean? [H.S. 2019]
Ans. ‘Consuming the earth’ means drawing nutrients and minerals from the earth.
(6) What has the tree in ‘On Killing a Tree’ consumed and absorbed?
Ans. In ‘On Killing a Tree’ the tree has consumed the nutriemts from the earth and absorbed sunlight, air and water.
(7) How does a tree grow? [H.S. 2017]
Ans. A tree grows slowly by consuming nutrients from the earth, and absorbing sunlight, air, water for years.
(8) What does the word ‘crust’ mean?
Ans. The word ‘crust’ means the top layer of the earth.
(9) What does the expression ‘leprous hide’ refer to?
OR, What is meant by ‘leprous hide’? [H.S. 2020]
Ans. The expression ‘leprous hide’ refers to the rough and discoloured bark of a tree.
(10) What comes out from the leprous hide?
OR. What sprouts out of the leprous hide?
Ans. Green leaves sprout out of the leprous hide.
(11) ‘But this alone won’t do it.’ – What do you mean by ‘this’?
Ans. ‘This’ refers to the hacking and chopping of a tree.
(12) ‘Not much pain will do it…’ – What does the word ‘it’ refers to?
Ans. Here ‘It’ refers to the difficult task of killing a tree.
(13) What does the poet mean by ‘Not much pain will do it’? [H.S. 2015]
Ans. The expression suggests that the tree can get pain from hacking and chopping but it cannot be killed completely.
(14) ‘ The bleeding bark will heal’ – What causes the bark of a tree to bleed? [H.S. 2019]
Ans. The hacking and chopping causes the bark of a tree to bleed.
(15) What does the expression ‘bleeding bark’ suggest?
Ans. The expression ‘bleeding bark’ suggests the flow of sap from the bark of a tree after hacking and chopping it.
(16) What will rise from close to the ground if a tree is hacked and chopped?
Ans. If a tree is hacked and chopped, curled green twigs will rise from close to the ground.
(17) What would happen if the growth of miniature boughs of a chopped tree is unchecked?
Ans. If the growth of miniature boughs of a chopped tree is unchecked, they will expand again into a full grown tree of former sizes.
(18) What are miniature boughs?
Ans. The curled green twigs are the miniature boughs.
(19) From where would curled green twigs rise?
Ans. Curled green miniature twigs would rise from the stem close to the ground.
(20) ‘No, The root is to be pulled out’ – What does the word ‘No’ suggest here?
Ans. The word ‘No’ suggests that the difficult task of hacking and chopping cannot kill a tree completely.
(21) What is to be done to kill a tree?
Ans. The tree is to be uprooted completely to kill it.
(22) What does the expression ‘anchoring earth’ suggest?
Ans. The expression ‘anchoring earth’ suggests that the roots of the tree are deep-rooted into the earth, holding the tree tightly.
(23) What does the phrase ‘earth cave’ refer to? [H.S. 2016]
Ans. The phrase ‘earth cave’ refers to the hollow space made after uprooting the tree.
(24) What lies hidden in the earth’s cave?
Ans. The roots of a tree lie hidden in earth’s cave.
(25) Which part of the tree is the most sensitive, white and wet? [H.S. 2018]
OR, What according to the poet is the most sensitive of the tree? [H.S. 2015]
Ans. The root of the tree is the most sensitive, white and wet.
(26) What remains ‘hidden for years inside the earth’?
Ans. The roots of the tree remain ‘hidden for years inside the earth’.
(27) Why is the root wet?
Ans. The root is wet because it draws water from the earth and passes to the tree.
(28) Where does the tree’s strength lie? [H.S. 2019]
Ans. The tree’s strength lies in its roots.
(29) What scorches and chokes the tree after it is pulled out? [H.S. 2016]
Ans. The sun and the air scorch and choke the tree after it is pulled out.
(30) In what form of verse is the poem ‘On Killing a Tree’ written? [H.S. 2020]
Ans. The poem ‘On Killing a Tree, is written in free verse.
Class 12 Chapter wise Questions and Answers from PROSE
The Proposal (Drama) Questions and Answers
Written by Koushik Kumar Kundu
Koushik Kumar Kundu was among the toppers when he completed his Masters from Vidyasagar University after completing his Bachelors degree with Honours in English Literature from The University of Burdwan. He also completed B.Ed from the University of Burdwan.
No Comments Yet